Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Random Topic Tuesday on Wednesday~Habeas Corpus

Habeas Corpus (Latin for you should have the body) is the name of a legal action or writ by means of which detainees can seek relief from unlawful imprisonment. With that being said, I would like to remind you that this is not a right against unlawful arrest, but a right to be released from imprisonment after an arrest. Resisting arrest is a crime. You can only uphold Habeas Corpus after you have been detained.

To me, it always seems that guilty until proven innocent is the way it really is. If you are a suspect you are detained until you're innocence can be proven. If that's not the way it works can someone please fill me in. 

After seeing a movie last night I had a revelation about our government, so I pounded away at the computer this morning doing research on many of the ways that we Americans have had to fight against our own government for our freedoms and fundamental rights.(This is all related, just stick with me here).

Some of these wars were fought to gain our freedom and it was clear that this is what these wars were about. There was no confusion to some wars as to what we were really fighting for. Once the wars start to become unclear as to why they are being fought, it is no longer about the Americans freedom, but is then over a need to control and have power. Since we have "earned" our right to be free, our battles have been against our own government to keep our freedom and fundamental rights as American citizens. I am doing research so I can present the facts on a later post.

The American Revolutionary War allowed the United States to gain it's independence.

The Civil War between the North and South, abolished slavery and united this country as one.

World War I A war that had nothing to do with us originally and then Britian, France and Russia asked us to get involved and most Americans were against this but the government went ahead anyway.

World War II Originally Germany invaded Poland and somehow spilled onto America.

When we go into a country declaring war on them because they won't give us something that they have, is that morally right?

Let's see an example on smaller scale:
Your little sister wants something you have. You won't let her have it. And you really have no valid reason for it, except you just don't want to. Does that give the little sister the right to then go into your room and take it anyway? The little sister has justified it because she really needed it, but does that make it right?

I just don't understand how killing people will bring about positive change. (oxymoron)
It seems to me that we have many issues to resolve as a country within itself. Is it condusive to America to focus so much on what everyone else is doing?

Two movies that I recommend are American History X and Pirate Radio. When watching these movies, look at the bigger picture. Tell me what you think.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Gina!

    Glad to see that you are back...I'm back too. Barely. But wow. Just wow. This is a great beginning to an article about Americans and Our Freedom. How "free" are we really if we have to constantly fight against our government? Makes you wonder.

    And the whole issue of war because we "need" something another country has, or we're afraid that they will impinge on our way of life.

    I will definitely have to check out those movies you mention. I love stuff that makes me think like that (but not all the time, mostly I like to zone out and just look like I'm thinking.)

    Gotta get back to writing...
    xoxoxo
    RC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Japan bombed Pearl Harbor therefore the US became part of WWII.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy...is this a big one for me. I talk too much and I'm about to prove it, but...

    Please view response on Here...Hold My Mind blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back love!

    "When we go into a country declaring war on them because they won't give us something that they have, is that morally right? "

    Um....how about NO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RC~ I'm glad you're back too.

    Reforming Geek~ Japan did bomb Pearl Harbor but the US was a part of wars that were going on among other countries long before that. There were a lot of pre-war acts by the US as wars were going on and we were supplying other countries with means to fight wars in which Japan and the US were "talking" and the US was asked to stay out of it. We refused and so on and so forth.

    There are so many things that lead up to war that Americans are unaware of.

    JJ~ Thank you for that informative and interesting post. I absolutely love the last paragraph. So true.

    Mel~ Thank you. I've missed all of you.
    I guess my point was that it's not right in any way, no matter how you look at it.
    I really really really don't get the whole war thing.

    Why can't we all just get along? ;)

    ReplyDelete