Friday, July 30, 2010

Ship High In Transit

This is in no way my words. I received this in an e-mail from my father-in-law. He's always sending me fun little e-mails like this. Thanks CR.


Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common. 
It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by- product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. 
Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM! 
 Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening. 
After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term 'Ship High
 In Transit' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane. 
 Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Ship High In Transport) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day. 
 
So as far as I'm concerned, it's not really swearing.  
 
As I did research on this silly topic I discovered that there are many myths about the origin of this word, but I thought it was quite creative and wanted to share it with you. 
 
Suffice it to say, this is a load of shit. ;)
 
~Live Happy


13 comments:

  1. Yes, but it's so believable, why not? I love it. Thank you to your father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Funny. What an entertaining story about a load of sheetisky.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That brought a much needed smile to my face! Thanks. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome load of shit though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's some interesting shit! ;)

    I'm back and ready to roll. Let's go monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It might be a pile of S-H-I-T but I really like that explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. are you ever coming back to blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mel~ I will be coming back. I'm struggling with a few things and I'm having difficulty clearing my head. It means so much to me that you keep coming back and checking on me. Thank you so much.

    When I can move through the anger, sadness and bargaining, I will be back.

    I've also been making some decisions and changes and I've been isolating quite a bit. But thank you for staying.

    Much love. Xoxoxo


    Much love. Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete