Friday, November 19, 2010

Study, Study, Study...

Hi guys! Checking in once again. How is everyone? I would like everyone to know that I have been pounding away at the keyboard writing my arse off. But sadly, it hasn't been on my book. I have been required to write an article every week for my English Comp. class in addition to an essay each month. I am currently working on my last one. It's a literary analysis essay and I have never read more short stories in my life than I am now. I also have a 15 page dissertation due in less than a month for my psychology class and the the topic is serial killers. Ooooo, I'm looking forward to this one.

Although this hasn't been preferred writing material, I have learned a lot in the past few months. Not saying my writing is any better, but my mind is. There is something to be said for ignorance though. When I don't know the rules, I tend to be more carefree and uninhibited. Once I know the rules, I get somewhat paralyzed and tend to over analyze everything, question everything and think for everyone else. And the worst thing of all is, once you know something, you can't not know. But I am writing, writing, writing.

My semester ends in the middle of December and I will have an entire month off before the next semester begins, so hopefully I will be more available here. I miss this terribly. I stop by your blogs and read what's going on and it's great to see that mostly everyone is still up and running.

Reading is something I have been doing a lot of lately too. I am reading a few books that I had missed in high school. I was busy doing other things so I'm playing catch up now. I have never read To Kill A Mockingbird so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I know it may disappoint and shock a few of you (okay, most of you) to know that I have never read this fine piece of literature, but I'm doing it now, so please stop throwing tomatoes at me. Next on the list is George Orwell's 1984.

If anyone has short story suggestions for me to do my literary essay on, I would love to hear from you. If not, I'd love to hear from you anyway.

In my free time, I am going to the courthouse to sit in on murder cases going on in the neighborhood.  It's not only good to do since I will be a lawyer's right hand woman in the near future, but it has given me some great character ideas and story lines that I promise to share with you eventually. By the way, just in case you guys didn't know, justice is so unjust sometimes and logic is not logical. Go figure.

~Live Happy

8 comments:

  1. Hey Wendy! It's great to *see* you too. I've been missing this world.

    I'm glad you said that about TKAM because I'm having a hard time getting into it, but at least I'll be able to say I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...what's interesting about writing is that you don't have to work on your project to better one's "voice." Whether it's that novel you've been fine-tuning, or a course project, it's practice none-the-less, which is an asset...another step toward the ultimate goal.

    Many consider "Mockingbird" as being the perfect story...sharing company with only a select few. You'll adore it:)
    EL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go, girl! Good to hear from you. Glad you're still writing - in whatever form. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi G~ great to see you again. I hear what you're saying about being ignorant. And once you know the rules you can't not know them.

    Good luck with all your school work. I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird eithr. But its in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elliot ~ I absolutely agree. My voice is getting stronger through these writing assignments.

    As far as TKAM, I do enjoy all of the characters so far. The story is beginning to grow on me.

    Terry ~ I don't think I could stop writing even if I wanted to. I thought that the desire might go away if I found another passion but it has only made it stronger.

    Anne ~ It's so good to know that there is another writer out there in the universe who hasn't read this book.

    I can't express how great it is to see you guys. I have missed you all so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss you too - and I am very much looking forward to your break so we can catch up again!

    "When I don't know the rules, I tend to be more carefree and uninhibited. Once I know the rules, I get somewhat paralyzed and tend to over analyze everything, question everything and think for everyone else."

    Yep. I know EXACTLY how that feels.


    As for TKAM? It's my favorite book probably ever. And even though I know how it ends? I cry, every.single.time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear that everything is going well with your studies. That dissertation should be a blast!!

    Enjoy your time off and recharge those batteries for the next round! Its so good to hear from you again.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Gina,

    Nice to see you blogging again, I left a comment here yesterday, but I don't see it. Is it in your spam file? Have you reduced me to spam? Sob!

    ReplyDelete