Saturday, December 4, 2010

Paper v. Electronic v. People


It's amazing all the changes that are taking place in the writing world because of the internet.

I do have to agree that it does save our trees to not use so much paper, but I really like having an actual book in my hands when I am reading.

I have also heard about the iPad becoming a student tool. Eventually all of the textbooks are going to be converted to electronic text books and all students will be required to purchase an iPad, but the books will be much cheaper.

The downside for me to E-text books is that when I am studying I find it easier to have everything in front of me with little colored tabs marking what material is where. I like to be able to flip back and forth to find things. On an electronic device you can't do this. Maybe they will eventually come up with a solution to do this but who knows.?

With a book, if you're looking for something you can thumb through until you find it. With an e-book, you have to type in a search term. But if you don't know what you're looking for, you have no way of finding anything without reading every single page that may be available.

I know that publishers are going out of business left and right but new jobs will be created. I mean someone will have to manage all of the internet files in whatever form they may be in. Their jobs will just be done on the computer with less paper surrounding them.

Now, in the court houses going electronic is a fantastic idea because there is so much paper that has to be saved for a thousand years, that would clean up much needed space. It's also more difficult to go through a million files as opposed to going to the computer, typing in a case name and it pops up right away. Brilliant!

But the disadvantage to that is all of this flying all over cyberspace where any half-assed hacker could have access to. Not to mention the constant human error of e-mailing the wrong things to the wrong people.

It also appears to me that people have become socially retarded as a result of all the on-line capability. For instance, I haven't received a bill yet to make a payment. Now call me old fashioned, but I still like to pay my bills by snail mail with a paper check. I just feel safer that way. Call me crazy. So I called the Harley Customer Service Center (which they need to rephrase Customer Service now) and he told me that I could go on line and just pay my bill there. I told him I don't like to do that and he acted so irritated with me that I was even able to get through to him and past the automated bitch. Really??? What is this world coming to?

AND, when I am actually with people face to face, it seems that a majority of them sit there and text message or check their facebook status every 10 seconds. It's seriously like sitting with a crack addict. They are surrounded my people and they would rather make stupid, irrelevant comments back and forth on the internet. Seriously??? Am I that uninteresting that you would rather stare at a computer screen? I know, I know, it's not about me, but for christ sake!

Okay, sorry this turned into a rant, but I feel much better now that I got this off my chest.

What do you guys think about this whole shabang?

~Live Happy

13 comments:

  1. Sadly, I suspect our brains are turning to mush. All of this social media are turning us into a society of narcissistic asses who are so self-absorbed that it's a wonder we even notice other people anymore.

    I mean, do I really want to know what everyone is having for dinner? I suppose I must, of I would turn it all off.

    Sigh. Makes me long for the olden days, when we actually "talked" to one another.

    See? It became a rant for me, too. :)

    Good to see you blogging again, Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'It's seriously like sitting with a crack addict.' Haha! Love it. So true.

    I also agree with, Terry. This social media is turning us into a society of narcissistic asses.

    Give me an old fashioned book to hold and someone on the other end of the phone to talk to - any day.

    Nice to see you Gina :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry ~ Yes! That's exactly it. Narcissistic asses.
    I would love to have the olden days back, but it wasn't that long ago. Amazing how fast this technology thing is moving.

    It feels good to be blogging again.

    Wendy ~ It's great to see you too.

    Them good old crack addicts... well, anyone who has to do anything every ten seconds and can't focus on anything else is referred to as a crack head over here in my world.

    I remember when people would drop by and we'd chat and have coffee for a bit. That doesn't happen too often anymore, I get a text instead.

    Reforming Geek ~ I agree, but some are so easily sucked in and lack self-control or awareness. That's what's really sad about the whole social media thing.

    Don't get me wrong, I love my blog and so many people that I have met here. I wouldn't change it for anything, but there are those who may be a bit too young to be subjected to so many hours of the internet.

    I say get out and socialize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also prefer to pay my bills by snail mail with a paper check. And, I love HOLDING an actual BOOK in my hands when it comes to reading.

    But, um, I also cannot wait to get my hands on an iPad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel ~ Good to know I'm not alone. Sometimes I feel like I'm carrying around a stone newspaper.

    I love all the gadgets and technology but there has to be balance.

    I was just reminded of that line from Breakfast Club, "Demented and sad, but social."

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, Gina, remember the telephone? That thing on the wall in the kitchen that rings you used to be able to talk on. I miss those.

    Remember "chatting" that didn't involve your fingers.

    How about posting letters the old fashioned way, by going to the post office?

    I am such an old fuddy duddy. I hate the new technology and some days I wish the whole system would crash. I'd love to see what would happen to all those people. I'd bet they'd look at pen and paper and say, "what's that?"

    Okay, sorry, rant over.

    And yes, it's very nice to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anne ~ Oh my gosh, remember when we would imitate talking with someone on the phone by holding our thumb to our ear and the pinky to our mouth? Now we hold hold our hands together in the air and move our thumbs really fast while saying, "...and then I said," to imitate texting.

    I think the same thing about all the computers crashing, oh how wonderful that would be. The entire world would shut down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Gina,

    I thought you had retired from blogging! Good to see you back again. I like the internet for the information you can find instantly and for the fact that you can create a blog and it's got the potential to create a world-wide audience.

    But I'm with you when it comes to texting and crackberries. When I'm talking to someone and they start texting someone I just stop talking. It's so rude and I do think that people are becoming socially retarded.

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Marty! It's been so long. Not retiring, just figuring out the balance with school and everything else. I love this too much to stop.

    That's a great idea to just stop talking. That will be my new practice from now on.

    It's just comical when you walk out of a restaurant and notice all of the glowing faces in the cars because everyone is texting.

    It's so good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true! It is all like one big crack-addiction.
    My husband automatically pulls out his Blackberry when he's with people he doesn't want to acknowledge! And he's not the only one who does that.
    But I must admit, I would love an iPad, especially if it could replace my 50 lb. textbooks (I'm a student.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandra ~ Nice to meet you. I guess when it's a deliberate move because you don't want to acknowledge people makes it different than just being totally self-absorbed. Deliberately doing it is actually kind of funny; if you're not the one it's being done to.

    I understand the text book thing because of the weight of the books. I'm a student too and I walk to school. But I love being able to flip through the pages. Maybe it's just something I'll have to get used to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Hannah! I am so glad this happens to others...well you know what I mean. But I'm also grateful for the fact that I am not the only one who gets annoyed and frustrated with this kind of crap! So thank you for the rant.

    Sometimes I think I'm just one of the "old" people now who sits around and says, "those kids today." Kind of like when I wore my concert tees and drawn on, ripped up jeans back in the 80's and my grandpa would hand me money when I walked in the door to buy some new clothes.
    I would just think to myself, pfft, he's old, he doesn't get it.

    Okay, I'm done now. It's so good to see you. Thanks for coming back all the time even though I've been somewhat of a slacker lately. That goes for everyone. Thank you. It means so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that book publishing will become like it was in the beginning - beautiful, expensive books loved by a few, while the hoi polloi can gorge on e-overload. A library will once again become a status symbol.

    I love paying bills online because I'm always late and essentially lazy. But I agree with you on the anti-social side of social networking. It's the main reason I don't have an iPhone and stick to my 100 year old Nokia. I'm worried about what I might become...

    ReplyDelete