Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Book


As I have mentioned before, I am writing a book and I am realizing how emotionally draining it is. I have been sitting on it for quite some time because it is a sad but triumphant story. In writing the sad parts I become emotionally drained. I am so wrapped up in the main character, that I'm sad for her and I can't believe that she has come through these things. At times I get a tightness in my chest and am ridden with anxiety. I just want the good stuff to come for already. I sat on this story for so long because I have wanted to put a humorous twist on it or something other than sad, but this is the story that's here. She is the character that lives with me right now and she won't seem to go away. So I almost feel as if I have finally given in to tell her story.

Is it normal to go through these emotions and be so enmeshed in the character? I am afraid something in my brain is going to snap and I'll be lost forever. If there is anyone out there who has experience with this, I would love to hear from you.
Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is amazing that you are so involved in your story and invested in your character. It sounds like you have to write her story and you don't have any choice in the matter.

    I love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy shit! You just perfectly summed up my feelings when writing my recently finished novel. At the end of the day, I was totally depressed and wiped out. My wife thought I was losing my mind. But the story was so deep -- so much from my heart and soul -- that it just wore me out.
    But like you, I determined it was MY story and it needed to be told exactly as I was telling it.
    Nice post. You hit it directly on the head.

    ReplyDelete