Monday, May 24, 2010

One Shoe

Hellloo??? Where do these come from? How do they get there?

Have you ever been a passenger in a car gazing out the window and off to the side of the road you see a shoe? Where in the hell did that shoe come from? I mean, it's not like you see one, maybe two shoes on the side of the road in a lifetime, you see them all the time. And I say 'you' because I know that you know exactly what I'm talking about. Now how weird is that?

I can understand a flip flop here or there, but I see gym shoes-high tops no less, dress shoes, slippers, all kinds of shoes on the side of the road. And it's just one! WTF?

Was a couple fighting in the car and Sally took off her shoe and decided to start wailing on her boyfriend? Did he then get the shoe from her and whip it out the window?
I know that when people get hit by cars they get knocked out of their shoes, but this is way too many and there's only one!

Was someone fleeing from the FBI and needed to de-clothe? (It's a word now.) If so, why aren't their clothes strewn about trailing behind the lonely sole? Where is the other damn shoe? Are that many people throwing out just one shoe? They can't possibly be losing them. Wouldn't you notice if you were walking down the street and your shoe fell off? A high top can't just fall off.

Is there some kind of shoe protest going on that I don't know about?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who wonders about this. You must have conversations about the damn shoe with your people when you pass a single sole on the side of the road.

Someone please tell me what this is all about so I can sleep at night. Share with me your wisdom and insight, and if you don't know the answer, just make shit up. Even if you do know, just make shit up anyway.

Hey! I know! We can collect them and do this:

Okay now, I'd like to give a quick shout out to my pals who have been so encouraging and supportive. Okay, maybe it won't be short...but I strongly suggest you go visit these blogs if you haven't already.

Terry over at A Writer of Wrongs. I have had the privilege of reading his first novel that will be published soon, I just know it will. I get to say that I have an original copy of the manuscript before it was published even though he's revised it already. He is a great writer. He has the ability to capture you and keep you wanting more. AND he has really pushed and encouraged me to continue with my own dreams. He has a way of telling you the truth without being harsh or offending. Something I could only dream of being able to do. He pushes on even when he doesn't want to and I find that quite inspiring. Thanks for listening to my sniveling and whining.

Meleah at Momma Mia, Mea Culpa has a knack for telling you all about her little adventures out in the world. She makes me laugh every time and she has such a wonderful family and shares about her journey with them. She is an inspiration to Do Things Differently in order to change your life for the better. I can't wait to meet you Mel.

Then there's Marty. He's doing a 365 day bar crawl. He finds some interesting characters and great bars. It's summer time and he's in New York. So if you want to know of the cool places you can visit while you're there get over to his blog and take a look. Let's not have him destroy his liver in vain. Oh. And he's got some pretty entertaining and funny books out there.

Dana at Confessions of a Random Chick happens to tickle my fancy. She's pretty funny and I can relate to all of her randomness. She has published a book recently called Stupid Poetry. YAY Dana! (Yes, I bought it).
 
Last but not least DL at Cruising Altitude. He's having a contest called THIS IS SPARTA-A 300 Celebration. The prizes are incredible and he never requires alot from his followers. The contest is over at the end of May so get over there, follow and comment. His new goal is to have a follower from every state in the U.S. and at least one from every country. So go help out a fellow blogger who has much to offer and is also very talented.

Love you guys.

~Live Happy

19 comments:

  1. i wonder about those too!
    i'm worried that they're all results of car accidents where someone was hurt bad enough that they didn't realize they lost a shoe.
    Kind of like is Stand By Me when they find the boy's body and they realize the train knocked him right out of his shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, what sweet things you say about me. And some of them are even true! ;)

    Seriously, I have been having a down day today and I came on here and read your kind and thoughtful words and it cheered me up. Hell, I might even be able to keep querying another day.

    And those shoes? I've often wondered the same thing. I guess I thought the same thing you did; some kind of couple fight gone bad. Weird world we live in ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Falen~ Isn't that weird? Getting knocked OUT of your shoes.

    Terry~ Well, I think they're ALL true.

    And yes, I agree, weird world. Maybe I'll do some investigating and find out the mystery of the one shoe on the side of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for those kind words. You are the best! And, my long lost twin sister. And I can't wait to meet you in *real* life too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point! How about the tied shoes dangling from high wires. What the heck?

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, and congratulations on being a newlywed! That's truly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lone shoes are placed on long winding roads by aliens for their own amusement. It's the oldest trick in the book.

    They derive nourishment from our curiosity. Then, when you're not looking they feed the shoes to their young, then place the other one someplace else and start all over again :)

    PS. I hope you can now sleep at night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the shout out! Or is that "shoe" out?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mel, you're welcome. You deserve the best.

    Julie ~ I thought about that too; kids throwing their shoes over the wires, but why? I would have NEVER thrown my shoes up there.

    Wendy ~ Thank you! Yes, now I can sleep. Sometimes I wonder if someone DOES (that word looks weird) do it for their own amusement. Haha! Aliens.

    DL ~ Shoe out! That's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! During my short-lived time as a stand-up comedian, I did a whole riff on this exact subject.

    I think there are a lot more people than we realize living in their cars. The odd lost shoe, therefore, is to be expected. Also, you'll notice that these shoes almost always belong to men/boys. Because chucking shoes out of moving vehicles is just a guy kind of thing. Women value shoes too much to engage is such foolishness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, here's what happens with the shoes...

    You know how when you go on a long road trip and you get really bored? Like you've listened to all of your favorite songs, counted all the license plates from Florida, played iSpy a bazillion times, and you're ready to pull all your hair out? Well, the shoes get there because they get thrown out of cars by people who have been driving so long they don't know what else to do. I think it's some kind of game...like if you hit the middle of the road you get 10 points, if you hit a bird you get 50 points, and if you hit a car passing by you win.

    So there. I told you the truth, as far as I know it.

    THANKS for the shout out! I also get inspiration from you because you are much more focused and persistent than I am. Thanks for YOUR support!!!

    XOXOXO
    RC

    ReplyDelete
  11. RC ~ What a great idea for a road trip game! Oh, my kids will be so excited!

    When I was a kid my Aunt Sharon and I would take road trips and we would stop and get a bag full of cherries. We would fill our mouths with as many pits as we possibly could and then machine gun them at cars as they passed. Terrible, I know. Which is why I didn't teach this to my kids, but man, it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much, Gina! And sorry this is late, I kept trying to comment two nights in a row from work and for some reason my work computer won't allow me to comment here. HATE the work computer! Anyway, I really appreciate the shoutout, it made my day.

    And out here you don't see a lot of shoes, but in the winter you see tons of one gloves littered around. I always wonder who's responsible for this, especially since Michael Jackson's dead, so we know it's not him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shoe humor AND great blog finds! wow...I hit the jackpot here :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh jeez I do the same also, not only with shoes, but with everything else I see in the streets, I sometimes wonder what kind of conversations people are having inside of the cars.

    Thoughts of a Career Woman

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marty~ Damn work computer! I knew you'd get here eventually though.

    Gloves are odd but understandable. I mean they must fall out of people's pockets all the time, since most New Yorkers probably don't wear the little clip thingy's on the string around their neck to keep from losing the gloves. Now pajama pants would be weird.

    Green Monkey~ Welcome! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Hope to see you here often.

    Laura~ What kinds of conversations do you think they're having in the car? Come on, spew something out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder about that too. You can find the most random things outside. I used to walk to work and on that walk I created a game called Count the Condoms. I counted 7 once...it must have been a sexy mile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always wonder about the ones hanging over telephone wires, personally. Why??

    ReplyDelete
  18. what sweet things you say about me. And some of them are even true! ;)
    PPC Advertising India

    ReplyDelete
  19. There was a book written by an ex-CIA agent years ago who had done assassinations and his explanation was that it was the perpetrator getting rid of bodies. If I remember, it said that usually the body is dismembered, chemically liquefied if possible, but if not, parts are just buried. The clothes can be burned, but DNA evidence is still possible to find, so the clothes are merely dispersed over a wide area (shirt in one state, pants across country) so as to not draw attention, and the shoes are discarded while driving to the locations, randomly. He said, "When you see one shoe on the side of the road and not a pair? It's not someone throwing out old shoes, it's a hit."

    I don't remember the book sorry, just read that part on the web years ago and never forgot it.

    ReplyDelete