Friday, June 25, 2010

Sweating the small stuff


My Garmin (GPS) was stolen from the glove box of my car at some wee hours this morning. I really had no reaction what so ever. I just thought, Aw, well that kind of sucks because how in the hell am I going to find my way around now? 

Later, it dawned on me that I barely flinched at this news. Some stranger had gone into my vehicle that was parked in the driveway of my home and had stolen my stuff. Expensive stuff. Why is this not a big deal to me?

I pondered the fact that I hadn't reacted and had to laugh at myself because here's what thoughts came next.

If my husband were to use a human bath towel to dry the dog after a bath I would totally flip my shit. I would pace the house ranting, about how many times I've told him that the bath towels are for people ONLY and even if I hadn't told him that a bazillion times already, that it's just common sense not to use our bath towels for the dog. And I could do this for a good long time.

I sweat the small stuff! Regularly. The big stuff is like, whatever. Why is that? Is the big stuff just too overwhelming? Or do I instinctively know that I really have absolutely no control over the big stuff? There's nothing I can do about it so I immediately let it go?

Here are some examples:

Small stuff: Husband takes a wrong turn and we get lost for a nano second and there is no time frame in which we need to be somewhere.   ME: Flippin' my shit.

Big stuff: We're driving down the road doing sixty miles and hour on a main road and the hood suddenly flies up because husband forgot to latch it and he has to hang out the window to see so we can pull off to the side of the road safely.   ME: Sitting in the passengers seat calmly until we get to the side of the road. I get out of the truck bent over in a fit of laughter barely able to catch my breath.



Small stuff: Husband uses the dish towel to wipe some liquid off the kitchen floor.   ME: Dramatically snatching the towel away from him and storming down the basement stairs while lecturing him on the proper use of dish towels and how inconsiderate he is because now I have to do a load of laundry.

Big stuff: I hear a loud crash outside and when I look out the window, I see that the neighbors oak tree had fallen on BOTH of my cars smashing the hoods and headlights.   ME: I shrugged my shoulders, shook my head and proceeded to eat my delicious, freshly made salami sandwich. And my thought was, Now we'll have lots of good firewood.



Small stuff: Husband changes the oil in the car and forgets to put the cap back on so that when we stop to put gas in the car there is a burning smell.   ME: Flying out of the car crashing the door into the garbage can, running from the vehicle and yelling, "Is the car on fire Dave? Dave! Dave! Is the car on fire?!" as all the people in the gas station are looking at me like I have just escaped from the looney bin.

Big stuff: Vacationing in Arkansas having a family get together and husband is wake boarding. When he is finished he tries to get back in the boat and someone forgot to turn the motor completely off. The prop caught his leg. He pulls himself up the ladder and I can see his knee cap.   ME: I extended my hand to him with a towel ready and calmly said, "Come on honey, we have to get you to the nearest hospital. Have a seat right here, you're okay." He ended up with sixteen stitches on the inside of his knee and twenty-four on the outside. I got to watch the whole thing and even help. It was really cool.



Small stuff: "Uummm, where's my purple lighter? Dave! Did you take my purple lighter?"
"I don't think so," as he's digging in his pocket. "Oh wait, I guess I did."    ME: "Why?! Why do you have to take my shit? Is it so hard to put something back where you found it after you use it, especially when it's not yours? You're such a thief. You know it's hard to find that shade of purple." (Hey, stop judging me. I told you I have issues).

Big stuff: As I sit here and write this post, there is a persistent loud banging on the door. (I know what those knocks usually mean). I decide to answer it. A short, stout woman is standing there, she looks and sound like Mrs. Pool from The Hogan Family. "Hi, I have a summons here for you from Bank of America to appear in court on this day," she points with her pen. An immediate feeling of dread washed over me and I pictured my head exploding and then I thought, Oh well, I guess it's time to file bankruptcy, it's not the end of the world. I take the paper from her, she asks for my name, I give it to her and she tells me to have a good day. ME: I continue to sit here and finish my post, while knowing that soon I'm going to get a good paying writing gig and finish my WIP.


Small stuff: I see a wolf spider four feet away from me.   ME: Running and screaming, flailing my arms as if I'm being attacked by a swarm of bees.

Big Stuff: A bear approaches me at our camp site.   ME: I walk toward him waving my finger at him saying, "Oh, I don't thinks so Mr. Bear, you need to go find somewhere else to hang out. Now hit the road!"

Okay so I  made the last part up about the bear, but that's how I imagined it to be if that would have happened.

How about you guys? Am I the only one who sweats the small stuff? And why do you think that is?

Oh! I did get a good chapter idea out of  the whole incident. Ya know, the GPS being stolen.

Update: As I sat here ready to publish this post yet another knock at the door. It was a nice older gentleman holding the Garmin in his hand. I stared at him speechless. All I could say was, "How did you know it belonged here?"

"You put your home address in there. That was a smart thing to do."

We talked for minute and I asked him where he found it. It was down by the park on the ground. Him and his wife were walking the dog and there it was.

Strange. I guess I could sit here and ask why, but I have learned that asking why is a straight path to the insane asylum and I really don't need any more help with that.

Now I can only hope that the courts and banks are just as gracious.

Until next time...
~Live Happy

23 comments:

  1. this is like a super hero's strength versus weakness. you have the unbelievable ability to see the tree fall on the cars and not freak, but the flip side is the bath towel used for the dog isn't something you quite appreciate.

    by the way, totally normal reaction to the spider. nice to meecha:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny post. I can't believe you remained calm when your hubs had to have that many stitches or that tree fell on your cars. WOWOWOW!!
    But amazingly enough as I sit here and think I can also remember times when I should have been freaking out and wasn't- like when our car blew up only a couple hundred miles into our cross country trip or when we got the 6 letters of delinquency from the bank. Not one, but six!! It is a strange phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. This is totally me. I LOSE MY MIND if my soda is on the wrong shelf in the fridge and I have to move the box before it sticks to the wet plastic. Because HEY, I've lectured on this shit before.

    The child uses Dawn in the dishwasher and buries the kitchen floor and cabinets in soap suds. I giggle and say, 'good luck with that.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's because we can control the small stuff so we do. The big stuff? We have no control so we might as well go with the flow.

    Funny post! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh God, yes. I totally flip over the dumbest little things, but when the big stuff happens, I'm as calm as can be. My wife honestly thinks I'm totally crazy sometimes (but in a good way, she claims).

    I suspect it goes with the territory, if you know what I mean. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't sweat ANY stuff. Little or big, I rarely wig out or lose my cool. You've heard of type A and B personalities...I'm a type C. Everything stays inside, which is probably why I take blood pressure medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ed~ Thanks for stopping by. It's nice to meechoo to. ;)

    Alicia~ Six?! A phenomenon, yes, that's what it is.

    Christi~ Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Shit like that! Do they not hear us lecturing?

    RG~ I think you might be exactly right. Thank you.

    Terry~ I think you might be right. It definitely goes with the territory, but I don't think we're the only ones. I think there are more out there...

    DL~ Oh my, that's not healthy. You'll explode! You don't even let it out when you're alone? Come on, you can tell us. We won't say anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You, my dear, are a fantastic person to have around in case of emergency. I do more frequently lose my shit at little stuff, but when faced with a summons...or the sight of a kneecap...I'm pretty sure I'd utterly dissolve.

    STopping by from Lady Blogger's Society! I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, great blog...glad I found it! :)

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm exactly the same way, and I think my mom is too. We are amazingly calm in the face of great doodoo, but use too much paper towel or forget to drain the grease from the hamburger...oh yeah, you're gonna hear about it. LOL.

    Stopping in for a cup of tea from the Lady Bloggers Tea Party Social. I'm going to take a minute to relax, and ignore the red powerade my 2 yr old just spit on the couch....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great and funny post and I sweat everything. I've always been a nervous person. I think it comes from my older brother's constantly scaring me as a kid. I have to go get a towel now and wipe the sweat off my brow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with RG. The big things are all beyond immediate resolve.

    The little things you feel shouldn't have happen and certainly shouldn't again. They are all easy right-away fixes.

    Perhaps you feel you have enough to do without someone else (they were all someone else) causing you grief.

    Towels wash, lighters are inexpensive, getting lost is a great way to see something new...I do it on purpose.

    Take a breath, repeat 'this is small stuff," deal with it calmly and save yourself an ulcer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I do this all of the time (sweat the small stuff)...it's a bad habit that I'm trying to get a handle on. But the BIG STUFF - like you, I'm calm and cool, ready to handle it all. Why is that? (sounds like a perfect therapy session, huh? Hell no! Blogging about it is much easier!). So glad your GPS was returned. How crazy!

    And thanks, also, for the great comment on my blog today. I'm following YOU now, so I'll be back soon!!! sorry!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally identify with this. It's the little stuff that makes me steam and stew, but the big stuff-- I just take a deep breath and ride that wave...

    I think you're right. It's about what we THINK we can control and what we KNOW we can't.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Thank God I'm in good company...which is very rare, BTW.
    I'm a huge sweater of the small stuff and have been since 1969. At this point, I don't have the desire to change.
    It's exactly what you said about not being able to change the big stuff, so that's why you don't sweat it. Yep.

    Okay, so where have you been all my blog life? You are perfect. So, yeah, just tell the court I said so. And good luck, really, with that...BOA really sucks out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amber~ You might be surprised at what you're capable of in the event of an emergency. Thanks for coming by.

    Michele~ Thanks for stopping in.

    Homemaker~ Thanks for the invite.

    Drama Mama~ Ha! And it just had to be red, didn't it? Thanks for stopping by.

    Marty~ My Aunt used to scare the shit out of me on a regular basis. I'm like the old man doctor from that Woody Woodpecker episode, who kept trying to get away and Woody kept finding him. I know you know what I'm talking about. ;)

    JJ~ I love getting lost now. I have met some very interesting people on the way. We no longer plan our route when taking long road trips. It's so much fun getting lost. Thanks for the advice. ;)

    Leanne~ Blogging about it is easier. The therapy for me is knowing I'm not alone. That's really all I need. And it is crazy about the GPS isn't it?

    Amommymous~ Love that name. It's all about control isn't it? And the funny thing about that is, control is all an illusion anyway.
    Hmmm...

    Wanderlust~ I've already done the paramedic thing and yes I was quite good in those emergency situations. And I think you're right, a lot of it has to do with wanting the courtesy of our loved ones. It's good to know blogflow helped. I have to get back over there and follow. I got hung up on some crap in the midst of blog hopping.

    Christine~ I know! As soon as I saw your blog and posts I knew we'd be like peas and carrots. ;)
    I'm glad you came by. Glad there's someone else out there who know BOA sucks, sucks, sucks!!! I'll be by soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your writing, can't wait to read more. Stopping by from SIT

    Come join my blog when you can.
    MommyReview.com

    Randi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi G, found you through blog flow and totally agree on the big/small stuff conundrum.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great post...I can TOTALLY related to this, I'm the same way. :-)

    THANKS for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I sweat the BIG and SMALL stuff. I'm a complete crazy person.

    But Im glad to hear your GPS was found! [Although, I am kind of freaked out about your home address being listed like that, and how it was so easy for any stranger to look it up and find.] That's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha! I'm the same way. Well, kind of. I freak out about the stuff I view as preventable (and let me tell you- ANYTHING hubby does that results in adding unnecessarily to laundry and dishes is justification for me losing my temper) the stuff I can't is just that. Why freak out? Just do what you can and move on. Fun post and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I'm overwhellmed I sweat both ALL the time, but when things are pretty smooth I tend to not sweat it. I'm in a weird place in my life, the situations I have lived in for the last 4 years have required me to learn to stop sweatin so much, but trust me I have my moments when things go crazy inside and I FLIP out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Randi~ Thanks for stopping by, I'll be over to your place asap.

    Brahm~ Deep simmering crap fest! Ha! I can relate to that.

    Kristi~ Great to see you again.

    Mel~ The GPS has a setting where you can program your home address so that when you're out and about and you want to go home, you just hit the Go Home button and it automatically calculates.

    It's actually a pretty handy feature. And if it wasn't stolen from my car that was parked in my driveway, I'd be a little freaked out too. But it turned out to be a useful feature after all.

    Kimberly~ I like that, simple. Just do what you can and move on. Just not easy. ;)

    Erica~ Don't you just love those little situations life throws us to force us to have patience and change our ways a bit?

    ReplyDelete