Thursday, January 28, 2010

Paradigm

Spending so much time trying to fit ourselves into a specific category or mold can debilitate us. Doing the same thing everyday obscures my creativity. Trying to be some”thing” or become some”one” is so stifling.

I find that when I do what I enjoy, I am willing to take care of things that I would normally have to coerce myself into. Like pay a bill, make an appointment with the dentist, go to the grocery store, clean the bathroom, etc…

I am more creative, productive and useful. Forcing myself to do the things I don’t want to first and then entice myself with some sort of reward is preposterous. Enjoying our lives is not a reward. It is why we are here. To enjoy, not suffer. I don’t mind doing the mundane things when I am happy.

Sure, it may be an alarming thought to go against what society has designed for us, but when I take care of me, I am better available to care for others, and willing to do so. I am no good to my children when I am exhausted and frustrated all the time. And they know, no matter how good we think we are at faking it. The inside shows on the outside whether you think so or not.

I don’t think this is a case of what comes first, the chicken or the egg?

What comes first is our enjoyment.

Unfortunately, we have been taught that this is wrong and selfish. It’s not. What’s selfish is martyrdom.

Who’s making up all these rules anyway? And why do I follow them?

Of course there has to be balance in all of this. That's where I get stuck. I am learning that balance is somewhat of an art form. To change takes practice. Practice takes effort and time. It doesn’t happen overnight. We practice a little bit each day. Baby Steps. And once we put the time and effort in, the change will happen and it will become second nature eventually.

The truth does not exist in a calculated response. It exists in spontaneity.

This is what I have remembered in the last few days of my new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment