Friday, February 12, 2010

If you were the only person on the planet...

I was just presented with this question; 

If you were the last person on the planet, would you still do what you do?

~If you had no friends to call for validation or confirmation, to find an outside opinion, or to impress, would you still do what you do?


This question has to do with the differences between territory and hierarchy. The way I see it, a hierarchy is everyone else's, a chain of command, if you will.

A territory is of one.

When we create from our truest selves, we have to function territorially. We have to do 'it' because we love it or at least because we own it, it's what we are best at. Not to impress others or because it's what sells.

So I ask you this question, If you were the only person on the planet, would you still do what you do?



And when you're finished answering (or just pondering) the question, you can watch this completely unrelated clip. It's ONE of my MANY favorites.






Don't con-din-send me man...

8 comments:

  1. If I was the only person left on the planet, I would not do what I do. But that has mostly to do with logistics rather than a basis of who there is around me to validate what I do. I'd sit and write all day, because I wouldn't need to be making money since there's no one around to collect bills! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh. it would be terrible to be the last person on earth. i'd probably just suicide because i'm a coward like that.
    unless i still had my dogs. then i'd stick around to take care of them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have a blast. I wouldn't have to work and I probably wouldn't write because there'd be no one to read the writing, but I would just wander and have endless fun. I've always been a loner, so I would love it. The question makes me think of the Twilight Zone episode where the guy finally has all the time to read everything he wants, and then his glasses break! Hopefully that wouldn't happen to me. Wait, I don't wear glasses, so I'd have no worries. Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I was the last person on earth, I would be lonely. Not because I actually LIKE people, mind you, but because I always want what I can't have. So companionship would become my drug of choice, so to speak, and I would be miserable without it.

    Sigh.

    That said, I probably would not do what I do now because, as Marty said, I write so others can read what I write. That's where the joy comes from for me. Otherwise, what reason is there to pour my heart and soul onto the page?

    Are you listening, JD Salinger?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, well, I would write and paint and dance and sing all day, until I got sick of it of course. But I would put my words and color all over the walls. I would share everything I am afraid to share.

    I'll have to pretend I'm the only person on the planet I guess.

    I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would write.
    And talk to myself.
    Probably wouldn't be much different than it is now. heh!

    I would miss music though.
    I can't imagine not having something new come on the radio that just revs my engine when I'm feeling tired or down.

    I think I would write, but differently, if there was no one there that I felt would judge me. I would probably be happier doing it as well. I would love to just write without fear. Without self-criticism.

    Now you've gotten me thinking when I should be transcribing. Dammit woman! It's now after 5AM and I must go. We'll talk more about this later. My thoughts have been provoked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would probably still do what I do but I would talk to myself a lot...more. I would probably end up like Will Smith in I Am Legend, watching movies and talking to mannequins. Good times.

    ReplyDelete